NDSU Research & Technology Park, Inc. Position Description Makerspace Program Manager
BACKGROUND The NDSU Research & Technology Park (RTP) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to enhancing the investments in North Dakota State University by the citizens of North Dakota. Through partnerships with international, national, and regional centers of excellence, as well as high technology-based businesses and the research community at NDSU, we help develop technology-based businesses and broaden the economic base of North Dakota. The RTP operates a high technology business Incubator to accelerate the success of startup companies. Additionally, the company supports the startup ecosystem in the region.
POSITION OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSE
Makerspace Program Manager The Makerspace (MS) Program Manager will oversee and monitor open shop hours in the MS as well as perform safety and operational trainings on equipment available in the MS. The MS will be comprised of equipment in the following fields: Woodworking, Electronics, Prototyping, Fine Arts, and Metal Working. This position will help organize the structure of training to provide members with the correct safety policies and procedures defined for the MS. The Program Manager will develop and expand our system and procedures for on-boarding new members. Additional duties for this position will be to create and constantly evaluate training manuals in the MS, provide tours of the space, maintenance the equipment, help to organize and facilitate events in the MS, construct and build organizational tools for the shop, inventory supplies and materials for sale in the space, and participate in outreach events to build membership for the MS. Percent of Duties & Responsibilities:
• Teaches safety and operational trainings & updates and creates the MS reference manuals for each machine; contributes to the safe, & creative working environment (30%) • Maintains shop cleanliness; mediates conflicts in the space; maintenances equipment and updates maintenance logs (25%) • Helps to organize and facilitate events and outreach for the space; provides tours of the MS (20%) • Builds/constructs organizational tools for all areas in the MS; operates systems and help to build and update the member database (20%) • Purchases supplies for the space & keeps inventory of materials for sale (5%) • The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties.
• Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Must possess knowledge and experience in general equipment maintenance and the ability to train others to use equipment. Must be a self-motivated and driven worker with the ability oversee members using the space. • Problem Solving/Decision Making: Individuals will work independently as well as with the RTP Executive Director to make decisions and solve problems that affect the operations of the MS. • Interactions: This position will have extensive interaction with NDSU students, staff and faculty as well as community members. • Supervision Received: Individual will report to the RTP Executive Director and will obtain guidance as needed. Individual will escalate issues as needed. • Impact: This position will oversee safety and operational policies, procedures and training. Safety of members and staff at the MS is a top priority. One of the focuses of the space is to broaden every user’s skills through hands-on education; this position will be responsible for developing and teaching the training in the MS.
• Provide support to the incubator clients through the daily duties in the incubator. • Assist with coordinating and scheduling educational events for incubator clients. • Assist with maintaining updated information in the IncuTrack software system. • Build relationships and be an ambassador for the RTP with a variety of NDSU and community people/organizations involving innovation and entrepreneurs. • Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED WORK EXPERIENCE
• Two years full-time or part-time-equivalent experience that is relevant to this position. • Proven time management and organizational skills. • Budgeting and reporting experience. • Demonstrated engagement with individuals, organizations and the general public. • Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. • Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
• B.S. in Engineering or related field • M.S. or Ph.D. • Experience in planning, achieving and reporting on stated measurables outcomes. • Demonstrated ability in communication, client and community relations, funds development and experience with computer database systems. • Experience in small business ownership or management and knowledge of economic development programs. • Classroom teaching experience.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
• Salary – Commensurate with experience; anticipated range is $48,000-58,000 • Benefits – TIAA & Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Send resume and cover letter by December 13, 2019 to:
Jan Sobolik, Operations Manager
NDSU Research & Technology Park
1854 NDSU Research Circle North
Fargo, ND 58102 firstname.lastname@example.org